The rarity of Argyle pink diamonds, shaped by the forces of supply and demand, speak volumes about their investment potential and wealth creation.”
Rio Tinto’s 2015 Argyle Pink Diamonds Tender has concluded, delivering what the company describes as an exceptional result, reflecting global demand and sustained price growth. The Tender, known as the Connoisseurs Collection was comprised of a collection of 65 rare pink and red diamonds, weighing a total of 44.14 carats, from Rio Tinto’s Argyle diamond mine in Australia. The Tender also included 5 ‘Hero’ diamonds including 4 ultra-rare Fancy Red diamonds, and a collection of Once in a Blue Moon diamonds consisting of 20 of the special blue diamonds mined in the past year.
- Argyle Prima – a 1.20 carat Fancy Red pear shaped diamond coveted for its unique combination of size, shape, colour and clarity which is rarely seen in the rarefied fancy coloured diamond world.
- Argyle Aurora – a 1.47 carat Fancy Red oval shaped diamond, named in honour of Princess Aurora from The Sleeping Beauty.
- Argyle Allegro – a 0.79 carat Fancy Red radiant shaped diamond, named after the brisk and lively ballet movement and reminiscent of the red colour dancing within this diamond.
- Argyle Spectre – a 1.93 carat Fancy Vivid Purplish Pink shield shaped diamond. The vibrant pink colour and strong shape of this diamond is inspired by the ballet Le Spectre de la rose.
- Argyle Élevé – 1.44 carat Fancy Intense Pink emerald shaped diamond, inspired by the ballet movement of rising high without bending and reflecting of the perfect long lines and elegance of the emerald shape.
As far as Argyle Prima was concerned, it went to Sciens Coloured Diamond Fund 11 BV, for an undisclosed value. Mr Philip Baldwin, joint Managing Director of Sciens Diamond Management said, ”The rarity of Argyle pink diamonds, shaped by the forces of supply and demand, speak volumes about their investment potential and wealth creation.”
Echoing the good result this year, Argyle Pink Diamonds manager Josephine Johnson says, “We are delighted with this year’s results which are a reflection of the collectability of Argyle pink diamonds and global appreciation of their rarity, provenance and beauty.”